The AntiVir Guard runs in the background. It monitors and repairs, where necessary, files during operations such as open, write and copy in on-access mode. Whenever a user carries out a file operation (e.g. load document, execute, copy), Avira Premium Security Suite automatically scans the file. Renaming a file does not trigger a scan by AntiVir Guard.
MailGuard is the interface between your computer and the email server from which your email program (mail client) downloads the emails. MailGuard is connected as a so-called proxy between the email program and the email server. All incoming emails are routed through this proxy, scanned for viruses and unwanted programs and forwarded to your email program. Depending on the configuration, the program processes the affected emails automatically or asks the user for a certain action. In addition, the MailGuard can reliably protect you against spam emails.
When surfing the internet, you are using your web browser to request data from a web server. The data transferred from the web server (HTML files, script and image files, Flash files, video and music streams, etc) will normally be moved directly into the browser cache for display in the web browser, meaning that an on-access scan as performed by AntiVir Guard is not possible. This could allow viruses and unwanted programs to access your computer system. WebGuard is what is known as an HTTP proxy which monitors the ports used for data transfer (80, 8080, 3128) and scans the transferred data for viruses and unwanted programs. Depending on the configuration, the program may process the affected files automatically or prompt the user for a specific action.
Avira Firewall controls communication to and from your computer. It permits or denies communications based on security policies.
The Rootkit Detection checks whether software is already installed on your computer that can no longer be detected with conventional methods of malware protection after penetrating the computer system.
The Avira Premium Security Suite Shell Extension generates an entry Scan selected files with AntiVir in the context menu of the Windows Explorer (right-hand mouse button). With this entry you can directly scan files or directories.
The Backup component lets you create mirror backups of your data manually and automatically.
Here are some key features of "Avira Internet Security 2012 (formerly Avira Premium Security Suite)":
- System Scanner detects the latest known viruses, worms and Trojans fast
- AntiSpam filters out unwanted and phishing emails.
- AntiBot blocks hackers- attempts to take over your computer.
- AntiPhishing protects you against identity theft attacks.
- AntiAd/Spyware shuts out online spies and annoying pop-ups
- Rootkit Protection keeps you safe from hidden malware that conventional antivirus can-t find.
- Real-Time Protection prevents infection from viruses, worms and Trojans.
- FireWall adds an extra layer of defense against intrusions.
- ProActive halts undiscovered threats by tracking their behavior.
- AHeAD Technology inspects unfamiliar code for suspicious signs.
- Web Protection stops you from landing on malicious websites.
- AntiDrive-by blocks unwanted software downloads while you surf.
- Mail Protection keeps infected emails at a safe distance from your inbox.
- Quick Removal eliminates viruses in one click.
- Generic Repair removes all traces of infection automatically.
- Backup System lets you recover your data in case of an accident, infection or theft.
- Rescue System jumpstarts your PC in an emergency.
- Express Installation configures perfectly tuned security in a few clicks.
- Netbook Support works fast on low resolution, low memory laptops
- Live Support provides interactive help from an Avira expert.
- Game Mode suspends unnecessary alerts during games and movies.
- Child Protection makes it easy to monitor your children-s internet use
- Min. 150 MB available disk space
- Min. 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)
- Min. 1024 MB RAM (Windows Vista, Windows 7)
- For all installations: Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Administrator rights are required for the installation
What's New in This Release:
Increased stability and reliability:
- All components have been made more resilient in order to resist against targeted malware attacks which are more and more aggressive. This includes, but it is not limited to, the ability to function without many registry keys, better protection against process termination, component deletion and many others. The repair functionality for various malware families has been improved.
Decreased resource usage and faster initialization time:
- Many optimizations in all modules, re-usage and recycling of components that have already been loaded in memory lead to a lower memory consumption. Because the engine is loaded only once, the overall initialization time of all modules has been improved.
- The usability of many actions which require user interaction or are used very often has been improved: installation, configuration and control of the user interface. Some places where an information slide-up had to be shown have been enhan...